Opening dates for the Highland roads/tracks
Most mountain roads in Iceland do not open until the middle of June in some cases even later due to wet and muddy conditions which make them impassable. When these roads are opened for traffic many of them can only be negotiated by four-wheel-drive vehicles.
It is strongly advised that two or more cars travel together while driving in the Icelandic highlands.
We also recommned that before embarking on any journey out into the Icelandic countryside that you gather as much information as possible regarding road conditions from a travel bureau, tourist information office or the Icelandic Road Administration (ICERA) Tel: +522 1000 or 1777 - http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/.
A booklet called Mountain Roads can be obtained at Tourist Information Centres and the offices of the Icelandic Tourist Board abroad.
Always take along a detailed map.
General opening dates
• Lakagígar (F206) - Jun 12th.
• Fjallabaksleið nyrðri (Landmannalaugar, Eldgjá) (F208) - Jun 12th
• Landmannaleið, Landmannalaugar (F225) - Jun 15th
• Kjölur (Hveravellir) (F35) - Jun 11th
• Sprengisandur (F26) - Jun 27th
• Askja (F88) - Jun 20th
• Kverkfjöll (F902) – Jun 19th
• Uxahryggir (F52) – Jun 5th
• Kaldidalur (F550) – Jun 13th